Vallejo School Board Candidates Forum — Hosted by the African American Alliance

Here is the complete forum for Vallejo School Board Candidates hosted by the African American Alliance in City Council Chambers on September 22. Candidates Worel, Cayangyang and Loughmiller were present as well as incumbents Ubalde and Wilson.If you are still undecided hopefully this will help!

Tagged:

'Vallejo School Board Candidates Forum — Hosted by the African American Alliance' have 18 comments

1. October 7, 2014 @ 12:54 pm Salty Dog

Wilson: I….I……I…..I…..celebrate…..I….I…..I …. I….celebrate….I…. I… = narcissism personified

2. October 7, 2014 @ 1:36 pm Patrick Henry

I reviewed my sample ballot today and read R. Bishop’s analysis of the fiscal shakedown about to hit the property owners in this city from the absurdly profligate measure E. Grab your tax bill and do the math. It’s looking like $150 per $100,000 of ridiculously inflated assessed valuation. (Mine is at least 2x market btw). This is a big hit.

$239 million is a tremendous amount of money to throw at a corrupt bunch of grifters who fail spectacularly at educating the children in government school. Does anyone know of a “No on E” group where I can spend time or money to help defeat this naked theft?

• October 7, 2014 @ 3:08 pm tramky

It’s really quite simple: NO on ‘E’. Period. No discussion.

• October 7, 2014 @ 4:51 pm T. Jefferson

To date the one and only school board candidate to clearly say vote on Measure E is the dentist, Dr. Pucan. She is also in favor of officers on campus. That is highly opposed by the Bishop. Sounds like Pucan might be the one with real world business experience who understands that you have to work for what you get.

3. October 7, 2014 @ 6:08 pm SilasBarnabe

LOL! So as far as Burky is concerned supporting VPD is helping VCUSD? If he means shooting them well OK. What has Burky done for the students of VCUSD?

• October 8, 2014 @ 10:01 am I'M PEACHy

I know …hard to believe but, he was on the school board at one point and unlike me (and you apparently), he’s at every school board meeting just as critical and passionate as he is at the City Council meetings. Cringe to see him on the City Council, but may be what this school board needs to wake up.

4. October 11, 2014 @ 6:48 pm Melissa Bowman

I was taken aback that not one of the candidates nor incumbents immediately referred to the Williams act when asked whether or not they support students having textbooks at home and on campus. The Williams act has been in place to cover this since 2004. Their responses reminded me of a student caught b*$$*Ñ8 their way through an oral question they should know the answer to.

More information may be found here on the official state site: http://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/cr/cf/imfrpfaq1.asp and in plain and simple language, here: http://www.clrn.org/fdti/williams.cfm

• October 12, 2014 @ 6:50 am Real reform

Williams act needs to be overhauled! . I have seen textbooks torn apart and graffiti all over them. Think what they would do with them at home. Education should be privilege not an entitlement. Any property destroyed should be financially recovered by the parents. If they don’t have the money, then they should volunteer hours to work off what they owe. If they don’t want to comply, then the taxpayer shouldn’t have to keep paying money for their offspring to commit more destruction and violence. Too many parent thugs feel this right for their offspring being thugs in school. Either behave or stay at home, the taxpayer wants kids to be educated to be well meaning citizens. But our schools are letting them being thugs and bullies. And enough with “cultural entitlement,” complete BS! Now the criminal behavior apologists want more handouts from property owners? Crazy! Teachers should not have to deal with thugs beating them up. Enough! Once we change that, the schools will be safer.

• October 12, 2014 @ 8:35 am Melissa Bowman

Whether or not the Williams Act needs to be reformed, the striking fact remains that none of the candidates referred to it. Having dealt with textbooks being issued in a school with a similar population I will share with you that the majority of books only receive normal wear and tear. The Vallejo School Policy states the consequences for lost or damaged textbooks:

“The Governing Board recognizes that instructional materials are an expensive resource and that each student is entitled to sufficient instructional materials in accordance with law. Instructional materials provided for use by students remain the property of the district. Students are responsible for returning borrowed materials in good condition, with no more wear and tear than usually results from normal use…

…When materials are lost or so damaged that they are no longer usable, the student shall be immediately issued a replacement material. However, students or parents/guardians shall be responsible for reparation equal to the current replacement cost of the materials. When materials are damaged but still usable, the Superintendent or designee shall determine an appropriate charge.

If it can be demonstrated to the Superintendent or designee’s satisfaction that the student has taken all reasonable precautions to safeguard instructional materials issued to him/her, the Superintendent or designee may excuse the student or parent/guardian from payment of reparation.

If reparation is not excused and not paid by the student or parent/guardian, the district may withhold the student’s grades, diploma and transcripts in accordance with law, Board policy, and administrative regulation.”

(Find this policy within its context at http://www.gamutonline.net/district/vlljo/DisplayPolicy/716795/)

As far as imagining what the students will do with textbooks at home, I imagine that a possible consequence is that they will actually read and do their homework. Consider this from http://www.livescience.com/6500-growing-books-boosts-child-education-attainment.html :

“Children who grow up in households where books are plentiful go further in school than those without books, a new study finds.

This book benefit was seen across countries, and held regardless of the parent’s educational background, the country’s Gross Domestic Product, father’s occupation or the political system of the country, the researchers say.

The results, based on data from 73,249 people living in 27 countries, including the United States, show that having a 500-book library boosted a child’s education by 3.2 years on average.”

Finally, regarding education, I do believe it is every citizen’s right to have an education. More specifically, it is every citizen’s right to have a differentiated education tailored to their strengths, weaknesses and abilities and, I mean this in the broadest sense.

• October 12, 2014 @ 9:07 am Real reform

Optimistic thinking but naive. I the taxpayer should not have to replace books damaged by students, let their parents pay for it. And Measure E is unfair to those who had to move to put our kids in safer schools, raise my property tax and. I will raise my rent on my tenants. I promise to do so. It’s unfair that property owners who have moved out can’t vote on this. I pay enough with Measure A, which FAILED with a huge red F minus!

• October 12, 2014 @ 9:30 am Melissa Bowman

Optimistic? Most definitely. Naïve? After twenty-eight years as an educator and the majority of those in a Title I school I can tell you I am anything but naïve as far as the education process. I draw my optimism from my experiences rather than a biased opinion.

• October 12, 2014 @ 9:33 am Melissa Bowman

Yes, the parents/guardians do pay for the books. It’s stated.

• October 12, 2014 @ 10:52 am Mensch

The Williams Act probably wasn’t brought up because the full context of the question dealt with the physical consequences to the students lugging heavy books around. Addressing the need for quality materials and improving the timely distribution of the books was a bigger issue but that wasn’t honed in on either.
      By the way, Pucan did not attend any of the 3 public forums so the endorsement theory is invalid. The truth is that her candidacy is motivated by political shenanigans designed to oust Ubalde by splitting the Filipino voting block. She’s said publicly that if she wins a seat she will turn it down, choosing instead to “bequeath” it to the next highest vote getter on the list….Unless of course, she objects to who that turns out to be. Personally, that stinks as bad as any entrenched imcumbent.

• October 12, 2014 @ 11:03 am Melissa Bowman

Thanks for your observations regarding Pucan. Where has she stated, “if she wins a seat she will turn it down, choosing instead to ‘bequeath’ it to the next highest vote getter on the list”? Her website is sanitized of any of those statements, and I am pulling up nothing using a Google search.

• October 12, 2014 @ 12:02 pm Mench

That her intent is not in print says a lot to me about getting the transparency we all want to see from the new board. I’d recommend you check with her personally and see if you get a response that differs from what I heard her verbalize. The candidates that did show up to all the forums are, at the very least, more open about where they stand on the issues facing the district whether you agree with their positions or not.

5. October 12, 2014 @ 8:41 am Melissa Bowman

Where was Brisbain Pucan that evening? I would have liked to hear her speak.

• October 12, 2014 @ 9:09 am Real reform

She was probably not invited or smart enough that she knew that she would not get the AA endorsement. Hazel Wilson got that endorsement even before the meeting, I wonder why?? The elephant is in the room.