8/22/14 — A fire started at ALCO Recycling located at 629 Azuar Drive Mare Island around 4:15PM – 4:30PM .
The fire was confined to piles of recycled materials (including ground up appliances etc.) in the back lot of ALCO. No determination had been made yet whether the fire started spontaneously or was due to arson. Because the back of the building nearest the fire is made of sheet metal an early concern was that if enough heat had been generated it could have caused materials inside the building to burn.
Mare Island residents were instructed to shelter in place for several hours.
Fire Departments fron Benica, American Canyon, Travis ,Dixon and Vallejo responded to the fire.
Photos by Angelo P. — Click to see Full Size